From Sho Fukamachi <sho.fukama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: when to use another document and when not to?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:51:54 GMT

On 06/08/2008, at 11:47 PM, Paul Carey wrote:

> +1 for all the reasons you list, except perhaps the fourth, for which
> I think I'm on the fence.

Ha, I'm on the fence about pretty much everything when it comes to
data structures in CouchDB : )

> It looks like multi key GETs / bulk_load (I got horribly confused
> following yesterday's IRC discussion) is on the horizon which will
> presumably make one of the original suggestions in this thread - a
> simple join document - feasible.

I am sure that people will start throwing rotten fruit at me for my
endless harping on about this - but that's not a JOIN. It's a two-
stage query. It's a good way of doing things, and in many ways
preferable to a JOIN even in an SQL database where we have JOINs - but
it's not a JOIN!  However, it does get rid of the n+1 GETs from the
previous example so it's a big improvement and probably fine for most
cases.

I think the really exciting thing is the possibility of the re-mapping
as alluded to by Chris Anderson yesterday. Not a feature of CDB
(yet?), but a single remap would give us the ability to do all this
kind of thing in one query. If the problems with expiries and
consistency could be solved and remapping added to Couch then that
would open the door to a whole new range of uses, this one included.

thanks,

Sho