From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Appending "\n" and pretty printing output from the command line using curl (with a smidge of python)
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:17:10 GMT
On 21.08.2008, at 03:10, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 01:04:49PM -0500, Jason Huggins wrote:
>> I was thinking about creating a patch to add a "\n" at the end of
>> every request, but I figured that would be a request of last resort.
>
> I did this very patch about 6 months ago but it was rejected and I
> can't quite
> remember why. Now that we're at the ASF I would like to call an
> informal vote.
>
> Fellow committers, what say ye to adding a trailing \n to JSON output?

I think when you first brought this up, the patch would add a trailing
newline to all responses, which would potentially corrupt binary

If this is done for JSON responses only, I don't see any problems with
adding a trailing newline.

[Not in direct response to this mail, but rather others on this
thread:] Pretty-printing OTOH... I don't think it's worth it. This
stuff isn't really intended for direct consumption by humans, and if
you need prettified output, just post-process it with one of the
bazillion available libs. Not something CouchDB should concern itself
with.

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz