From "Nicholas Retallack" <nickretall...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduce is Really Slow!
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:55:25 GMT
Okay, I got it built on gentoo instead, but I'm still having performance
issues with reduce.

Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.3 [source] [64-bit] [async-threads:0]
couchdb - Apache CouchDB 0.8.1-incubating

Here's a query I tried to do:

I freshly imported about 191MB of data in 155399 documents.  29090 are not
discarded by map.  Map produces one row with 5 fields for each of these
documents.  After grouping, each group should have four rows.  Reduce is a
simple function(keys,values){return values}.

Here's the query call:
time curl -X GET '
http://localhost:5984/clickfund/_view/offers/index?count=1&group=true&group_level=1
'

This is running on a 512MB slicehost account.  http://www.slicehost.com/

I'd love to give you this command's execution time, since I ran it last
night before I went to bed, but it must have taken over an hour because my
laptop went to sleep and severed the connection.  Trying it again.

Considering it's blazing fast without the reduce function, I can only assume
what's taking all this time is overhead setting up and tearing down the
simple function(keys,values){return values}.

I can give you guys the python source to set up this database so you can try
it yourself if you like.