From "Jason Huggins" <ja...@jrandolph.com>
Subject Re: Appending "\n" and pretty printing output from the command line using curl (with a smidge of python)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 05:24:53 GMT
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Please note there are two separate issues here:
>
>  * Ending the output with a newline character, which according to POSIX is the
>   required way to signal an End of File (for non-binary formats) and should be
>   the default

Hi, Noah... out of curiosity (and to further help the cause), is there
an online reference for that rule?  Perhaps I've read too many
"citation needed" comments in Wikipedia to let this one go. :-) I did
some searching, but couldn't find a definitive, explicit mention.)

Also, is your patch for this available online, too? I suspect it
hasn't made the switch into Jira (I couldn't find it there.) If not,
this might be the motivation I need to start reading some Erlang code
and try to figure out what to edit on my own. :-)

>  * Pretty printing the data, which is nice but should not be the default

I agree. :-) I'm more than fine letting pretty printing be a client
issue. It was a small annoyance not having it in there, but the
work-around solution is easy enough with Python, Ruby, or Bash... but
I figured I'd post anyway... making the easy solution
search-engine-findable now. :-)

Lastly, not everything is "unpretty" by default right now. For
example, when viewing "/_all_docs", the current one-doc-per-line
printing *is* the pretty solution in that case. :-)

- Jason