From Joel Reed <joel.r...@visn.biz>
Subject Re: Creating a permanent view
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:23:48 GMT
Joel Reed wrote:
> I've been poking around on the wiki site and googling for answers, but
> can't quite come up with the right syntax yet to create a permanent
> view and then GET the results.
>
> I have a "test.view" file that looks like this:
>
> {
>  "_id":"_design/forms",
>  "_rev":"12345",
>  "views":
>  {
>    "all": {
>      "map": "function(doc) { emit(doc.Patient, doc);
> }"                          }
>  }
> }
>
> Then I say:
>
> curl -v -H 'Content-Type: application/json;'
> "http://localhost:5984/cs-cache/" --data-binary @/home/jreed/test.view
>
> They I try to fire up:
> http://localhost:5984/cs-cache/_view/_design/forms/all
Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong. The correct steps appear to be:

1) Create a test.view file WITHOUT a "_rev" entry that looks like this:

{
  "_id":"_design/forms",
  "views":
  {
    "all": {
      "map": "function(doc) { log(doc); emit(doc.Patient, doc); }"
    }
  }
}

2) Submit to couchdb with curl like this:

curl -v -X PUT -H 'Content-Type: application/json'
http://localhost:5984/cs-cache/_design/forms -T /home/jreed/test.view

3) test the view using a URL like this:

http://localhost:5984/cs-cache/_view/forms/all

Thanks Jan for helping me on the last step. I'm very new to couchdb,
thus my confusion.

jr