From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@grabb.it>
Subject debugging replication
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:51:54 GMT
I've started digging into replication issues a little deeper. This is
what I've found so far, replicating a 2GB database into a fresh
(empty) target database.

I'm triggering the replication via curl, so there are no browser/proxy
timeout issues at play, which I've found can muddy the waters a bit.

The replication starts fine, and as I query the target database, I can
see the doc count going up over time. Occasionally the doc-count stays
the same for a few minutes. After that it will sometimes start back
up, or equally likely, I get a nasty crash with output that looks
like: http://friendpaste.com/g7zRzvPc

If I restart replication by rerunning the curl command, it seems to
pick up where it left off just fine, with the doc count moving up
smoothly for a while, before I get another error. Just now, the one I
got wasn't a crasher, just a replication-stopping failure:
http://friendpaste.com/BBfSPEZm But I've seen this error as the first
in a fresh replication, and the crasher coming after a restarted
replication, so I don't think the order is significant.

Next I'll see if I can trigger the problem on a smaller dataset.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com