From "Bosko Milekic" <bosko.mile...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb test suite failing randomly?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:59:03 GMT
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Bsoko,
>
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 15:57, Bosko Milekic wrote:
>>
>> # Exception raised:
>> {"error":"EXIT","reason":"{{badmatch,{error,econnrefused}},\n
>> [{couch_rep,do_http_request,3},\n {couch_rep,open_doc,3},\n
>> {couch_rep,replicate,3},\n {couch_httpd,handle_replicate_request,2},\n
>> {couch_httpd,handle_request,2},\n {mochiweb_http,headers,4},\n
>> {proc_lib,init_p,5}]}"}
>>
>> (this running the suite from Firefox2, seems to be easily reproducable)
>>
>> When running the test suite from Safari, I get seemingly much more
>> random failures.  For instance, this last run I have:
>>
>> multiple_rows failing with:
>> Exception raised: {"error":"conflict","reason":"Update
>>
>> conflict","line":54,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch.js?0.8.0a"}
>>
>> design_docs failing with:
>> Exception raised: {"error":"conflict","reason":"Update
>>
>> conflict","line":77,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch.js?0.8.0a"}
>
> This seems to be a mochiweb concurrency issue. we are currently looking
> into this. These are really quite strange, if you can find out more about
> them, we'd be glad for every hint.
>
> Firefox usually doesn't show these errors because it looks like it is not
> sending requests as fast as Safari.
>

>> replication failing with:
>> Exception raised:
>> {"error":"EXIT","reason":"{{badmatch,{error,econnrefused}},\n
>> [{couch_rep,do_http_request,3},\n  {couch_rep,open_doc,3},\n
>> {couch_rep,replicate,3},\n
>> {couch_httpd,handle_replicate_request,2},\n
>> {couch_httpd,handle_request,2},\n  {mochiweb_http,headers,4},\n
>>
>> {proc_lib,init_p,5}]}","line":200,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch.js?0.8.0a"}
>
> This is just as Johan says: localhost resolves to :::1 first on OS X and
> since CouchDB only listens on IPv4 addresses, the connection fails.
> Try accessing CouchDB through 127.0.0.1 or disable IPv6 to get that
> working.

I'd like to believe that, so I am now connecting to 127.0.0.1, but now
with Firefox I get even more seemingly random failures.  Last run:

content_negotiation fails with:
# Assertion failed: xhr.getResponseHeader("Content-Type") == "application/json"

replication fails with:
# Exception raised: {"message":"docA is
null","fileName":"http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/script/couch_tests.js","lineNumber":1224,"stack":"((void
0))@http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/script/couch_tests.js:1224\nrun(0)@http://127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/script/couch_tests.js:1228\n","name":"TypeError"}

compact fails with:
   1. Assertion failed: deletesize > originalsize
   2. Assertion failed: compactedsize < deletesize

next run in Firefox everything passes.  Note that the problems seem to
be timing related, which is what makes this scary.  Tweaking with
Firebug settings (e.g., enabling/disabling network logging in Firebug)
seems to reveal some of these.

Cheers,
--
Bosko Milekic <bosko.milekic@gmail.com>