From "Benoit Chesneau" <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:41:50 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Richard Heycock <rgh@roughage.com.au> wrote:
> Excerpts from paul.joseph.davis's message of Fri Jul 18 08:36:14 +1000 2008:
>> >
>> > Does this not apply to Xapian too?
>> >
>> > What is the problem with the GPL as long as we don't distribute the bindings?
>>
>> It depends on what license the bindings are released under. Assuming
>> they're GPL'd like Xapian's then the answer is that we distribute
>> separately. To me that's a slight annoyance. Pyndexter appears to be
>> under a BSDish license judging from the COPYING file. Not that I read
>> it, but it looks like the same format and length.
>
> It seems that Hyper Estraier is LGPL which means that you will be able to
> distribute it.
>
> rgh
>

>> > --
>> > Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/
>> >

> --
> +61 (0) 410 646 369
> [e]:  rgh@neoss.com.au
> [im]: rgh@jabber.org
>
> You're worried criminals will continue to penetrate into cyberspace, and
> I'm worried complexity, poor design and mismanagement will be there to meet
> them - Marcus Ranum

I would prefer one stable search api rather than only one external
tool packaged with couchdb. So people can use the tool they want : GPL
or not, with the language they want.

Obviously a full search engine in erlang integrated in couchdb would
be perfect. I don't know if some  already exist ?

- benoƮt