From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: view index build time
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:50:48 GMT

On Jul 2, 2008, at 16:17, Brad King wrote:

> Just to post some results here of working with around 300K docs. I
> changed the view to emit only the doc ID and index time went down to
> about 25 minutes vs. an hour for the same dataset.
>
> I then converted the largest text field to an attachment and things
> went down hill from there. I deleted the db and started the upload,
> but repeatedly got random 500 server errors with no real way to know
> what is happening or why. Also the DB size as reported by Futon seemed
> to fluctuate wildly as I was adding documents. And I mean wildly like
> anywhere from 1.2G then back down to 144M. Weird. I don't get a very
> warm fuzzy feeling about the stability of using attachments right now.
> Ideally, I don't want to use them anyway, I'd prefer to have the
> fields all inline and have the database handle these docs as-is. I
> don't see these as huge documents (2 to 5K) as compared to what I
> would store in something like Berkeley DB XML, just for comparison
> sake, so I'm hoping its a goal of the project to handle these
> effectively, even when several million documents are added.

This doesn't sound right at all. Can you make sure you use the
very latest SVN version or the 0.8 release and completely
new databases? Also, just to clarify, do you emit the doc into
the view payload? As in emit(doc._id, doc); are you just doing
emit(null, null); to only get the docIds that matter to you and
then fetch the documents later? I have had the later setup running
without any problems across ~2mio documents in a database.

> As always, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the problem report.

Cheers
Jan