From "John Evans" <>
Subject Erlang crash on new install of couchdb
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:33:57 GMT
Hi All,

I had a nice happy version of couchdb running from the trunk for the past
couple of weeks when we encountered a drive failure at our hosting provider
which required a clean install of the machine.  I was able to restore the
entire couchdb directory unharmed, but the OS was a clean install (of Ubuntu
Hardy), so I had to go through and install all of the dependencies like
Erlang.  Well, after getting everything (I think?) i place, I was getting
this failure:

$ bin/couchdb
{"init terminating in

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

I then remembered that based on one of the previous issues I asked about on
the mailing list I had previously installed the most recent version of
Erlang instead of using the one installed by Ubuntu's apt-get, so I thought
that may help here and built and installed R12B3 from source.

This didn't help, so I thought there must be some other problem with the
couchdb installation itself, so I blew it away and did a clean build/install
from the same checkout of the trunk that I used before but I am still
getting the same error.

The erl_crash.dump is here:

Any ideas?  Are there tools for interpreting the crash dump?