From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solution on a Memory Stick?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:43:34 GMT
Hi Anthony,
On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:53, Anthony Waddell wrote:

> Greetings
> I was about to start developing an app that is to be used in various
> remote rural areas with little/no internet connectivity. The data
> generated in these sites needs to be replicated back to a central
> database.  I was going to do it in Notes/Domino, running the app on a
> memory stick that could then be taken by the remote worker to their
> nearest town, zapped into a workstation with internet access, and so
> replicated to the central server.  Now I'm wondering if I should do it
> in Couchdb instead?

The scenario you describe is the exact kind of which CouchDB was
designed to handle.

> Some questions:
> - can it run an instance (programme and data) on a memory stick?

Yeah. A simple example is the just-released binary package for
MacOS X I threw together:
http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/142-CouchDBX-Revival.html

This is obviously Mac-only, but equally possible to do for other
platforms.

> - does this sound feasible in this environment?
>
> - Is Couchdb ready for showtime in an environment like this.  I need
> to feel confident that these isolated offices that are a long way from
> any help are going to get a robust solution

Maybe not yet fo your purposes. CouchDB does not have a sense
of security (it will, though). So you'd need to write a small
proxy application that would do authentication and whatever else
you need. I guess you don't want to open each local instance to
everybody for replication :)

With large views, we are still missing database compaction, but
that won't be much of a problem with small data sets or small
views.

> (P.S. Newbie....so apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum)

This is the exact right place to discuss this :) Feel free to send in
any follow-up questions you might have. And have a look at
our documentation: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/

Cheers
Jan