From paola lorusso <thop...@yahoo.it>
Subject impedance mismatch, XML-native db, data model
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:39:14 GMT
Hi,
I am an Italian student, Paola Lorusso.
I am very interested about Couchdb which is the main topic of my
thesis and I would like you to give me some information focusing on the
issues i 'm going to consider;
In my thesis, I am looking into the matter of Impedance mismatch
occurring in web application development, especially when you use a
relational database.
>From scientific papers I got information about the uncapability of
object databases and XML-native databases to solve the problem I dealt
above.
Since I look into the main features of Couchdb I mean this database can erase the problem.
In fact, for example, it allows the query language to be the same of programming language.
Please, would you let me know if my statement is correct?

Plus, I read CouchDb is schema-free with a flat address space where each document has an
unique ID.
So I would ask you, how can I specify that two documents are associated each other?
For example: If I consider a blog, there is a post which is commented and it has several comments.
How can I structure a comment document? Should this document have
the ID of post document it comments, as similar to foreign key  in a
relational model?  Is this correct?If I have an application with documents tightly correlated,
what kind of advantages can I have using schema-free database?
It means there is not a data model?

The last question  I am asking you is about the differences between
Couchdb, defined also as document oriented database, and the XML native
database, also called document centric database.
Do you think there is a linguistic and terminological difference
between them? Do you think Couchdb is better than XML-native database?
I know, I asked a lot of questions,however, I hope you can answer
me. Now, my aim is to understand better these matters. In this way I
should contribute to solve problems to whom are interested in this
field.

greetings

Paola Lorusso

      Hai un indirizzo email difficile da ricordare?
Scegli quello che hai sempre desiderato su Yahoo! Mail
http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nuovo_indirizzo.html