From "Dean Landolt" <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:49:56 GMT
> So the upshot of this seems to be that we can use Xapian, "link" to it and
> even
> bundle the source code if we wished.

They're compatible, sure. But the downside is that by tying the packages
together you'd effectively be subjecting the whole project to the terms of
the GPL. Making a proprietary fork of the project would be made more
difficult (a fundamental right of the Apache license). Of course, this
doesn't matter at all to me as I only deal in free software, but it
complicates things a bit. Apparently it scares the heck out of an awful lot
of suits. I remember how difficult it was for me to convince the Library of
Congress that they wouldn't have to release all their source code if I
integrated even an LGPL tool (TinyMCE) into one of their systems. They're
still not completely convinced. If it were plain GPL, I can't even imagine
how that would have went.