From "Avi Flax" <a...@arc90.com>
Subject How to organize/differentiate Documents?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 04:39:31 GMT
Hi, I'm new to couchdb, and I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I can't seem
to find what I'm looking for anywhere.
I'm trying to understand the intended usage pattern for applications using
couchdb as a data store. Specifically, I'm wondering what the intended
approach to differentiating between different types of documents are.

For example, if my application has two entities: Cars and Trucks, in a RDBMS
I'd create two different tables; one to store Cards and one to store Trucks.
If I wanted cars I'd run a query on the "cars" table; if I wanted trucks I'd
run a query on the "trucks" table.

I'm a little unclear on how to achieve a similar use case with couchdb. I
guess I could create separate databases for Cars and Trucks, but that
doesn't seem right; I'm dubious that the designers intended databases to be
used like tables. In searching the mailing list I saw that some documents
had a field named "type". That seems like a good way to differentiate
document types; my hesitation there is that it just seems very ad-hoc; I'd
be surprised if there's no more firmly established method for distinguishing
between document types.

Apologize if this doesn't make much sense, I'm up later than I should be.

Thanks!