From "Peter Eddy" <peter.e...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Practical storage limit
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:05:39 GMT
> What I'd do is query the view for updating after each bulk insert.

This is what I've been doing, however it seems less than ideal. It
means that the bulk insert code needs to know about all views that
have been defined.

What I want to avoid, of course, is a user invoking a view and having
to wait a long time (minutes in some cases) for that view to be
updated in order to get their results. I would gladly trade document
insertion time for automatic view updates.

It could be argued that bulk updates are a special case that happen
only in exceptional situations. But I can easily imagine normal
application functionality that might add many documents, and this code
would then need to think about how many documents were added and if
the views should be updated in the process in order to avoid long
user-time delays. The larger the application, the more messy and error
prone this becomes.

Anyway, I've been meaning to mention this for a long time, so since it
came up...

- Peter