From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: when to use another document and when not to?
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:26:17 GMT

On Jul 14, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Dean Landolt wrote:

> I've been wrestling with this myself, and the only rule of thumb
> that makes
> any sense to me is just to spin off a new object if the new type of
> data
> tends to grow rather than change.

Good rule of thumb I think.

> In the example you put forth, that seems
> like the kind of data structure that is subject to change so it
> seems like a
> better candidate for nesting inside the parent doc.

Keeping a document that contains a list of users subscriptions seems
better than a document containing all of a user's followers,
particularly with the end-user update models. However, I'd think
either list can get large, which is expensive when that document is
updated. If users have lots of things they follow, and that list is
updated frequently, then it's still expensive. I'd consider creating a
separate document for each "subscription", a mapping of a user
following another user.

-Damien