From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Views using JSON Arrays
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:34:24 GMT

On Jul 3, 2008, at 20:17, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2008, at 20:07, Paul Bonser wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Bradford Winfrey <bradswinfrey@yahoo.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We would get back each one of our tags as a key, yea?  Only if we
>>> supplied one at a time.  So how does one go about supplying a
>>> range, array (not sure what we'd call it here) of keys to be
>>> searched on?  http://...?key=["octopus","hockey"] maybe?  I'm
>>> unsure of the plan of attack for such a thing.  Maybe I'm just
>>> going about it in the wrong direction.  Any thoughts?
>>
>> Hey everyone. I've pretty much just been watching the mailing list
>> here myself.
>>
>> This is the second time somebody has asked about this since I've
>> started watching this mailing list. I could see it being a valuable
>> feature.
>>
>> Would it be valuable to add the ability to query a view with multiple
>> keys, getting the results for each of those keys back? Something like
>> http://...?key_list=["octopus","hockey"]
>>
>> If I were interested in investigating how hard it would be to add
>> that
>> feature, where would I start looking in the code?
>
> This simply doesn't fit the way views work. They are single indexes
> that you
> can use for single-key or or key-range lookups. if you need random
> access
> you'd basically need to query the view as many times as you have keys
> to search. No matter if you do that in front or behind the API.

Hey you smart-ass, on the one hand you are trying to recruit new
developers and on the other hand you discourage people from adding
useful features. Make up your mind man!

Paul, if you come up with a nice solution, we'd be happy to look at
integrating it. Please give it a try. To investigate the code it is
probably
best to start at src/couchdb/couch_http.erl as it defines the HTTP API
and handles the requests you already know and just drill down from
there.

Cheers
Jan