From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need to troubleshoot: open_error,-10
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:30:09 GMT
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 07:57:33AM -0400, Dan Connelly wrote:
> Dan Reverri wrote:
> > Are you running couchdb as a different user? If so, have you set the
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH for this user correctly?
>
> What does "correctly" mean?

Set up to point to your installed libraries.

> The ErrorMessages page (wiki) tells me to run couchdb this way:
>
>     LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/js/lib couchd
>
> THIS NEEDS MORE EXPLANATION IN THE WIKI.

CouchDB is a volunteer project. Your contributions are welcome.

> In my case, "/usr/local/lib" is useless. What is its intended purpose?

To serve as an example.

You need to replace the example with the correct library path.

> It should not be necessary to pre-set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the ICU shared
> objects. The couchdb script uses "icu-config" to put those shared objects on
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH dynamically, within the invocation. Such a dynamic set-up
> should be just fine for ICU.

The LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also needed for the SpiderMonkey libraries.

The `icu-config` command has nothing to do with SpiderMonkey.

If you want to improve the `couchdb` command, I look forward to your patch.

> In my case, OpenSuSE comes with ICU already installed into /lusr/lib, not
> /usr/local/lib. What are the shared objects you are expecting in
> /usr/local/lib???

Please check that your SpiderMonkey libraries are being picked up.

> I guess I need to unravel this to the point where I can use "ldd" to list the
> dependencies.

You could try using the `strace` tool to see where it's looking for libs.

> You would think that such a tool would be part of the package.

Patches welcome.

Thanks,

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/