From Noah Slater <>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:20:21 GMT
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:24:54PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> Okay, I will take this to apache-legal later today when I have time.

Okay, from a thread on legal-discuss:

 * The AL2's "compatibility" with the GPL3 is, annoyingly, a one way affair. As
   such, you can include AL2 licenced code in a GPL3 project without relicensing
   but not the other way around.

 * The official ASF policy is that an Apache project MUST NOT depend on any
   code or library that is GPL licensed (or similar) regardless of the effects
   this may or may not have on the core code. The reason being that it would
   effectively enforce users of the Apache project to install and run GPL code.

What a shame, Xapian is pretty cool. From my chats with the developers they
mentioned that they would like to relicense to LGPL but about 40% of the code is
owned by some company that had paid for various people to work on the project
and that they are in the middle of some long and complex effort to rewrite those
parts. So, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Noah Slater,

View raw message