From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to organize/differentiate Documents?
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:06:55 GMT

On 16 Jul 2008, at 07:02, Troy Kruthoff wrote:

> Surprise :)  There is no established type declarations in couchdb.
> Once you get used to it, it is very liberating to work outside the
> confines of an established type system.  Big hint, the separate db
> approach is not where you want to go.  But you are on track with
> using a 'type' attribute.  I have also used views for more simpler
> schemas, such as a simple contact database might have views for
> 'contacts/people' and 'contacts/companies' based on something like
> "if (doc.company_name) //I'm a company" and "if (doc.first_name ||
> doc.last_name) //I'm a person"

Thanks Troy, this is all good advice.

I'll add one more bit. CouchDB will have insert / update validation.
That will be just another JavaScript function that allows or declines
the insertion or change of a document based on criteria you put into
that function. This will give you some schema enforcement
capabilities. But even with that, documents are meant to be ad-hoc in
structure.

Cheers
Jan