From Richard Heycock <...@roughage.com.au>
Subject Re: the search api?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 07:35:21 GMT
Excerpts from paul.joseph.davis's message of Fri Jul 18 08:36:14 +1000 2008:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:36:05PM -0400, Dean Landolt wrote:
> >> Or CLucene (for those of us with a violent distaste for all things Java). I
> >> just learned about a new FTI option: Hyper Estraier -- also GPL, sadly, but
> >> according to some benchmarks I stumbled across a good bit faster than both
> >> Xapian and Lucene. And the GPL issue shouldn't be an issue if we're not
> >> distributing the bindings (hyperestraier has pure-python bindings in PyPI
> >> (that pyndexter already uses)).
> >
> > Does this not apply to Xapian too?
> >
> > What is the problem with the GPL as long as we don't distribute the bindings?
>
> It depends on what license the bindings are released under. Assuming
> they're GPL'd like Xapian's then the answer is that we distribute
> separately. To me that's a slight annoyance. Pyndexter appears to be
> under a BSDish license judging from the COPYING file. Not that I read
> it, but it looks like the same format and length.

It seems that Hyper Estraier is LGPL which means that you will be able to
distribute it.

rgh

--
+61 (0) 410 646 369
[e]:  rgh@neoss.com.au

You're worried criminals will continue to penetrate into cyberspace, and
I'm worried complexity, poor design and mismanagement will be there to meet
them - Marcus Ranum