From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@grabb.it>
Subject Re: Modifying fields
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:16:29 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2008, at 01:40, Brad Schick wrote:
>
>> It would be interesting to know the load on the DB of doing something
>> like that inside the server versus sending and receiving all million
>> documents to the client.
>
> You'd save all HTTP handling. So things would be faster. We are at a
> point with CouchDB where we are working on getting it right and not
> getting it fast or adding features for all edge cases. I'm not saying that
> CouchDB will never get a feature that helps you, but it is not yet a
> priority.

That might be something doable via the view server / search query /
line-based json API. A job runner that you can submit jobs to wouldn't
be a bad way to obviate http connection issues. Send the job to the
data, they say. And then you could write job functions in any language
you want.

Building it as a plugin would solve the immediate issue, and allow
CouchDB's core to concentrate on getting it right. Plus job runners
just sound useful anyway, especially for things like functions that
clone a group-reduce result to a new database for further manipulation
and querying.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com