From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: Modifying fields
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:53:32 GMT

On Jun 13, 2008, at 01:40, Brad Schick wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
> On 06/12/2008 03:21 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>> Follow up questions on this: Does CouchDB internally track and
>>> reference
>>> individual fields? Or is the json for each document basically a
>>> blob to
>>> everything except View code?
>> Documents are stored into native Erlang types representing each
>> document. Except for the view server, no-one cares about what
>> a document look like.
> So the DB just treats each document like a string I assume? I was
> hoping
> it actually understood the fields. If it doesn't know about fields,
> then
> I understand that it might not be that much more efficient doing
> things
> on the server.
> But I'm curious; if the Erlang code doesn't look inside documents
> why do
> I get errors if I pass just a json array as the body of a document? It
> seems to require a json object with named pairs.

No no, CouchDB definitely looks at the JSON structure.

> My data-model is still a work in progress, so perhaps I won't really
> need to update lots documents in sequence. Mostly I've been thinking
> of
> maintenance examples. Like, every value for some textfield needs to be
> escaped and written back to the DB after there are already a million
> documents containing that textfield in the DB.

Yeah, that's a sort of valid use-case and CouchDB is not a very good
fit for that. But if it is maintenance, it might be okay to be slower :)

> It would be interesting to know the load on the DB of doing something
> like that inside the server versus sending and receiving all million
> documents to the client.

You'd save all HTTP handling. So things would be faster. We are at a
point with CouchDB where we are working on getting it right and not
getting it fast or adding features for all edge cases. I'm not saying
CouchDB will never get a feature that helps you, but it is not yet a

View raw message