From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch performance
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 15:27:41 GMT

On May 30, 2008, at 16:01, Simon Kapeniak wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to ask what is expected performance of CouchDB in case of
> heavy
> binary data attachments. Scenario I'd like to evaluate CouchDB for,
> implies
> little different usage then web based application or such, which as I
> understand involves dozens of small chunkcs requests rather then
> constant
> access to big files.
>
> I wonder what are possible issues with that: I want to save, lets
> say, a
> 1000 of binary files with about 1-20MB each. Many of them will have
> a number
> of versions (ten). There won't be too many simultaneous requests,
> but rather
> constant access of 1 to 20 clients per minute asking about single
> file, or
> some of them (less) also sequence of attachments.
>
> In general, under one project, my database should handle a few TB of
> data
> generated during a period of ~60 days, allowing access to that data
> (with a
> rate of ~500MB per minut) for something like 10-20 people in total?
>
> Are there any issues I don't see now? What are possible problems
> introduced
> by such application? Thanks for any comments!

The current state is not optimised for the scenario but this is simply
due to the fact that we are in the getting-it-right than in the
getting-it-fast
phase of the project. Other than that, CouchDB and its attachment
system should be a good fit for such a project.

Any help in this (or any, really) area (testing, bug reports,
profiling, patches) are highly appreciated.

Cheers
Jan