From Guby <guby.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My CouchDB feature wish number 1: partial updating
Date Wed, 07 May 2008 01:11:56 GMT
> In REST it's necessary that PUT has paste over semantics (i.e. update
> or insert if doesn't exist). Using it for partial updates is
> incorrect. As the HTTP spec defines PUT with this semantics all the
> clients, proxies, etc., assume it, so we have to follow it precisely.
> OTOH the HTTP verbs are extensible so we can define our own verbs to
> do operations with other semantics. There's already a PATCH proposal
> allowing partial updates of resources, you can see a blog entry about
> the issues (from the proposal author) here:
> http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=894.
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel Yokomizo.

Thanks for the comment! I didn't think of the consequences when
misusing the PUT verb.
The PATCH method draft was posted in January, and the latest comment
in the blog entry is from the end of february, does anybody know how
far they have come?
And is there a probability that PATCH will be implemented in CouchDB?

Best regards
Sebastian