From Sho Fukamachi <sho.fukama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb crash on startup
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 05:04:47 GMT

On 12/05/2008, at 8:06 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:36:55AM -0700, Bob Briski wrote:
>>
> Any reason you chose to install from source?
>
> [...]
>
> All the build problems we have been having recently have been
> related to
> building SpiderMonkey from source, for some reason.

Well, at the risk of repeating myself, I couldn't get couchdb working
properly with the system-installed js/js-devel.

It configures, makes, and runs fine - but then it fails the inbuilt
futon test suite with errors like

	• Exception raised:{"error":"error","reason":"{{nocatch,
{map_process_error,{exit_status,127}}},\n
[{couch_query_servers,readline,2},\n {couch_query_servers,read_json,1},
\n {couch_query_servers,start_doc_map,2},\n {couch_view,view_compute,
2},\n {couch_view,update_group,1},\n {couch_view,temp_update_loop,
2}]}","line":106,"sourceURL":"http://myserver.net:5984/_utils/script/couch.js
"}

The "solution" was to install spidermonkey manually, configure with
the js-lib/js-include flags, and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. That fixed
the JS errors, but introduced the others we've seen. As it currently
stands, I have a choice between building/installing with the package
libraries and being able to run couch, but with test errors - or
telling it to use the manually installed spidermonkey, being able to
run couchjs successfully, but not being able to start couchdb proper...

> Could you try:
>
> * following the wiki page above to see if it changes things

Many times. Are the people who know about spidermonkey (not me!)
absolutely sure that what's on that wiki page is accurate?

I wonder if it would be simpler in the long run to simply bundle
spidermonkey with couch and do a custom, known-everything, discrete
install. Guess the licenses are incompatible though?

> * installing libmozjs (or whatever the package is called in your
>   distribution) to see if it fixes the problem?

It fixes one problem and causes another (the tests failing). That's
why I installed manually in the first place - to get a proper working
install "once and for all". Famous last words ...

> It would be nice to get to the bottom of this. :)

I think everyone is looking forward to that!

thanks a lot for your patience and help ..

Sho