From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Lazy Fulltext Search
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:32:21 GMT
Heya,
while thinking more about the fulltext implementation, I began to
wonder why we don't model it after the view engine.

At the moment, we have an Indexer waiting for update notifications and
polling CouchDB for changes and a separate mechanism to register a
fulltext query Searcher, that looks up things in the index.

My proposed architectural change would be to trigger the Indexer from
the Searcher module when a request comes in, just like views work.
This would delay the creation of fulltext indexes until they are
actually needed.

The possible drawback though is, that when building the fulltext index
is rather slow, old-style pre-calculation might be more feasible. View
deal with that by requiring frequent requests (possibly cron-ed).

This is not a proposal or anything, just a thought I wanted to share
with those who work on fulltext integration.

If you have any input on this, please let us know ;)

Cheers
Jan