From Nils Adermann <nader...@naderman.de>
Subject Re: Clarifications or bugs
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:13:42 GMT
Hi Søren,

I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem but to me it looks like
you assume that every view result is tied to exactly one document. This
is not the case. Right now there can be multiple results from a single
document and once we have reduce there can be view results that depend
on any number of documents. That's why Jan's basic fulltext support on a
database level cannot be used to retrieve a subset of a view without
recomputing the entire view ad-hoc. There's only two ways I see right now:

1. Recompute the views based on the found documents
 - Works for small result sets, otherwise it's probably too slow
 - Requires the fulltext indexer to be able to index documents with any
number of differing arbitrary structures containing any amount of text
values

2. Index view results
 - If not limited this would probably create too many and too big
indexes, therefore we would need a view setting _fulltext_index that
indicates that a view should be indexed. You would use this setting if
your application plans to search results of that view.
- In order to allow fulltext indexers which require a fixed structure
for all documents to index a CouchDB view, you could go even further:
Define a structure without data in the view specification that informs
the indexer which format it can expect all view results will follow.
This could also be used to indicate which resulting values really
contain text that needs to be indexed at all.

Cheers
Nils