From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sphinx license
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:01:25 GMT
Heya Dan,

On Mar 27, 2008, at 8:26 , Dan Scott wrote:
>> I don't think the issue is that GPLv2 is incompatible with the ALv2,
>> it's that the ASF only distributes software using ALv2. If couchdb
>> pulls
>> in Sphinx then won't that make the combined program also GPL?
>>
>> See this draft of the licensing policy:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~rubys/3party.html
>>
>> Dan.
>>

> This is, perhaps, an incredibly stupid question, but wouldn't
> integration with Solr (a sister Apache project for a full-text search
> engine built on Lucene that speaks HTTP + JSON
> (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/)) make sense as a first target?

That is definitely not a stupid question :) It sounds as it would
make much sense from the outside. But for CouchDB that would
mean that the Indexer and Searcher components inside of
CouchDB would need to be full fledged HTTP clients that deal
with connections and all that. Specifically for the Indexer that
would add a lot more complexity to CouchDB itself. All it has
to do now is send a database name and a newline over stdout
and not care for any responses. This greatly simplifies the code
on the CouchDB side as no connection states and message
queues need to be maintained. We want this part to be as
lightweight as possible.

Another option would be to not change CouchDB but create
the external Indexer and Searcher components in way that
they can use Solr to maintain the fulltext index. This would
be possible and make perfect sense if you wanted to use
existing infrastructure (your Solr installation) or want to
keep the fulltext search load off the main DB server.

But I don't think that this is a first target to shoot at. Getting
it to work properly with all the required flexibility would be
more important, I'd say. But Solr integration could be right
next, no question :)

Cheers
Jan