From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Relying on revisions for rollbacks
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:38:49 GMT
On Mar 17, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Alan Bell wrote:

> Could the compaction mechanism be rules based? For example it could
> run a javascript function like a view function passing in the
> document object and revision id and the function would return true
> or false depending on whether it is OK to purge that version. I can
> imagine some use cases where revisions would never be archived,
> others where revisions might be kept for 6 months, others where the
> last 5 revisions are kept regardless of age. More complex options
> might be possible, such as retaining every third revision older than
> 6 months or in a wiki context purging edits marked as minor.

Possibly.

Right now I want to keep things as simple in concept and
implementation as possible. Keeping previous revisions as attachments
will keep the api and database model as simple, perhaps while pushing
some of the complexity  of managing previous revisions back out to the
clients. That's ok for now, but if it proves to be unwieldy we can add
more enhancements later to make things easier.