From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Sphinx license
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:01:17 GMT
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

>  On Mar 27, 2008, at 15:38 , Johan Sørensen wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@mfdz.com>
>  > wrote:
>  >> This is all still academic, but Lucene seems like the best fit for
>  >> lightweight integration, with Solr and Sphinx providing a wide range
>  >> of target support. Eg. if the API can support them, it'd be hard to
>  >> imagine what it couldn't support.
>  >
>  > If we're throwing out alternatives I'd put a vote down for Xapian
>  > (http://www.xapian.org/), in fact I'd be willing to put some code
>  > behind it, once/if there's some sort of API in place on the CouchDB
>  > side of things.
>
>  There's no need to vote if you come up with code :)

+1  :-)

A common response at the ASF to "I'd like..." is "where's your patch?"

If Jan, or anybody else, wants to work on integration with Sphinx, he
is welcome to do so.  Doing so doesn't stop anybody who wants to work
on integration with Solr or Xapian.  Nor is anybody required to work
on an ASF compatible alternative before they work on something else.

- Sam Ruby

- Sam Ruby