From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project proposal for ICFOSS
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:33:05 GMT
Hi Yashin,

Do you plan to generate since RST file with all changes or only just
for current release?

Why I'm asking...There is already change history for old releases that
is not possible to generate automatically: it was quite untrivial to
automate for 1.3.0 release for me since there was a lot of false
positive matches or no matches at all. Completely regenerate past
history also isn't good idea since it will be very heavy operation
with a lot of JIRA requests.

So the idea: to generate changes only for current branch release. Get
the commit hash when previous release was tagged and scan commits till
HEAD for features, JIRA issues etc. The output will be the file for
specific branch.

For example how it may looks:
http://kxepal.iriscouch.org/docs/1.3/whatsnew/index.html

By the way. This generated change log have to be stored on disk and be
committed: how we're planning to write Upgrade notes, CVE warnings,
Breaking changes and Migration guides for new release? Or, if not, how
and from where the script will embed them into generated .rst file(s)?

--