From Jason Smith <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PLUGINS] Plugin Hooks
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 13:11:02 GMT
On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> A behavior isn't quite right because as Jan points out, you may not
> want to implement every hook.

Did you see my followup where I compare to gen_server behavior, with only
two (significant) hooks to implement, handle_call/3 and handle_cast/2? In
my example, there is only one function to implement (on/1) and the API
surface is implemented via Erlang pattern matching.

Anyway I won't bike shed that much more, I just hope for the easiest
possible "hello world" and minimum viable plugin for new developers.

> Thinking briefly on the idea I think the
> general idea is good but I'd implement it via message passing rather
> than callbacks.

I agree. Especially for logging, I could easily see a plugin triggering a
CouchDB log, and an infinite loop or stuffed mailbox. If you use
gen_server, then you are using message passing; but it is implemented for
you under the hood. In fact, a gen_server CouchDB plugin would IMO be a
fine start. There is plenty of documentation and reference material out
there.