From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [RELEASE][PROPOSAL] New release schedule
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 16:13:15 GMT
Hey folks,

I've been doing a bit of thinking about the way we handle our new timed
based released, and I've come to the conclusion that doing a vote on the
3rd Tuesday of every month is a flawed approach.

There are delays in testing, and oftentimes multiple vote rounds. This will
consistently result in the situation where we are doing the actual release
several weeks behind schedule. The result being that, according to the
calendar, I would be doing another vote perhaps a week, or even days after
the release. This clearly makes no sense.

So, I am proposing that we attempt to do a new release four weeks after the
last release.

i.e. We released 1.3.1 1 week ago, so I am proposing that we attempt
another release in three weeks.

This means that even if it takes us several weeks to do the next one, we
will then set a 4 week timer at whatever point we manage to make the
successful release.

I believe this properly accounts for the fact that we are a volunteer
project, and that sometimes, things just take a while. But it also keeps us
on a time based schedule.

One other change I am proposing: I think that in three weeks, we should cut
whatever is ready. If that means a major point revision, so be it. Minor,
so be it. Patch, so be it. Whatever is ready. No artificial "patch
release", "patch release", "feature release" dance.

Assuming nobody objects, or has a better way of doing it, I will proceed
with this idea.

You can consider this notice that I plan to start a release vote thread on
the Tuesday the 24th of July. So you have three weeks to get your features
into master.

Thanks,

--
NS