From Russell Branca <chewbra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On Alternative View Engines
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:31:08 GMT
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Filippo Fadda <
filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> I agree with the idea to have a DSL executed inside the Erlang VM. A
> simple, but powerful DDL, not SQL, a strongly typed language just to
> _define_ views, not to query them (that's a different matter). And it
> should have regex support. Actually, to write fast views you need Erlang
> itself and I think having a DDL it's a big plus.
>
> +1

I like the link to JSON Pointer, Alexander, that's intriguing. Something
like that could be very useful for simple views, although the RFC is quite
vague on edge cases, ie how would you implement something like if (doc.type
== "foo") emit(doc.bar, doc.baz) with JSON pointer. Speaking of JSON
pointer, looks like Jan beat us to the punch ;-)
https://github.com/janl/erl-jsonpointer

Filippo, when you say DDL, how feature-ful are you envisioning?

I think the big idea is to get _something_ that functions inside the Erlang
VM securely and efficiently.

-Russell