From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Git workflow
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 08:40:53 GMT
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Garren Smith <garren@apache.org> wrote:
>> I agree with Jason and Bob, the simplest way is going to be the easiest for us to
implement.

>> With us wanting to use commit messages in the release notes, could we not mark specific
commit messages e.g. [Release Notes] so that only specific commit messages get added into
the release notes and other commits get ignored.

> why would you want to parse a commit message to find a release branch
> when you could just do
>
>     $ git branch -a
>     $ git checkout <branchname>
>
> ?
>
> - benoit

mmmm taking some coffee i sbetter, but having a commit message
formmatted like this:

    Short description in 1 line

    description

    close #COUCHDB-XXXX

where final line can be

- `close TICKET`  for features
- `fix TICKET`  for fixes

works generally well to build changelogs and reports. Also the 1 line
on top could also be used in messaging systems :)

- benoit