From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release clean-up (delete ALL the branches!)
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 15:31:48 GMT
On 21 May 2013 16:05, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Again, I missed this and the vote due to vacation and I only skimmed
> the thread in catch-up mode.

Understood. I was providing you with context.

> > I've also made an adjustment to the "n + n-1" concept, more inline with
> > both the Dublin discussion and the points about semver that Dale brought
> > up, and I added it to the wiki, as previously noted in this thread.
>
> We can’ retroactively do that for releases that aren’t part of the new
> plan (e.g. 1.2.x) where the circumstances of strict semver don’t apply.

We can, because all I'm suggesting is:

 * We identify each release line that is not upgradable to the next, and
 * That we support these release lines for 12 months

This strategy works no matter what versioning system we use.

I agree to do this going forward, but I found it odd to drop a branch that
> we currently consider as being supported, that is all.

I dropped it because we decided not to support it.

I stand by my previous suggestion to resurrect 1.2.x in case we need to do
> a follow-up release if the scenario warrants that a user can’t upgrade to
> 1.3.x.

There is no indication in 1.3.x that there are breaking changes over 1.2.x.
How likely is it, do you think, that there is legitimate reason not to
upgrade?

Moreover, even the upgrade path from 1.2.x to 1.3.x is problematic, the
1.2.x line is now 12 months old, so according to our 12 months support
plan, it is time that we drop support anyway.

--
NS