From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Goals for 2013
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:14:00 GMT
Hello community,

I'd like to start a thread and collect a list of goals for 2013.

We have a few exciting things in the pipeline. BigCouch is about to land.
Benoit's rcouch is also going to land. We're probably going to be moving to
V8. And if Jan has anything to do with it, we'll be getting a plugin system.

These are roadmap items. (Which are very important to have!) But I am
thinking about other things which we might want to make a commitment to.
Things to do with the community, and marketing, and docs, etc.

Some of the things I think we could aim for:

 * Increase month over month commits. Current activity is slowing down
month over month. Let's re-energize the project. How do we do this though?
I think by accepting more patches, closing more tickets, getting more
committers, and generating excitement.

I actually think the rest of the goals I want to propose all feed into
that...

 * Get a JIRA triage team and Github/patch team up and running. Stay on top
of this stuff. Bring the JIRA queue down. Anyone want to put forward a
number or a metric we can actually work towards here?

 * Increase the size of the committership. Perhaps we could aim to double
it? I think we should go into mass recruitment mode. To the point even
where we might want to suggest handing out a commit bit to anyone who asks
for it. I'm talking about lowering the barrier to entry as much as is
possible.

 * Release monthly. Activity already around getting this process
bootstrapped.

 * Increase marketing activity. Social media, blogs, etc. What can we do
here? Weekly news is one great idea that's already been mentioned this
week. What other metrics can we use?

Think of this like a set of personal development goals you might get at a
job, except we generate it for the community as a whole. And we can all
work towards them.

Things which are * measurable* are ideal. It's hard to measure "excitement"
but it's easy to measure social media mentions, and blog subscribers,
releases, committers, patches, tickets, etc.

We could break these down into quarters. If we manage to agree on some
metrics this month, we could set quarter by quarter goals for Q2, Q3, and
Q4.

Thoughts?

--
NS