From "matt j. sorenson" <m...@sorensonbros.net>
Subject Re: Google+ community?
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 21:48:35 GMT
Hi Noah - I agree with you on involving one or more human(s), for sure...

So I guess part of what I was brainstorming was around which parts of the
process could still be automated to ease the burden, not unlike the huge
body of work you've been doing around the release process. If disparate
sources were aggregated, and if throughout the week a newsletter curator
could select and/or nominate topically relevant items for that week by just
spotting it, deciding, and "tagging" it (or some similar easy-button type
of action) during the course of everyday flow, then the final email could
still be automated, and thus always on a reliable schedule... even tho all
of the content there-in was selected by a person or a few people (or votes,
or...).

and maybe it's not a schedule, maybe a mail is generated every time there
are 5 (arbitrary number I just plucked) pieces of human-determined
newsletter-worthy content ready to be served up.

just thinking aloud (onlist)... we could even experiment with the bookmarks
or hacker news clone apps on garden20.com.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Interesting idea, Matt. Again though, I really think we should aim to
> involve a human being. I think if there's a tagging system, or a +1 system,
> that helps to surface interesting threads, then fine. But there should be a
> person reviewing these, and using their judgement, and knowledge of what is
> already happening on the list to post what seems relevant. I might add that
> anyone can do this! God knows, I already have enough things to do. ;)
>

> On 11 March 2013 16:04, matt j. sorenson <matt@sorensonbros.net> wrote:
>
> > I think about the aggregation and curation challenge sometimes...
> >
> > and *sometimes* I even think of ways it might be made easier. I just
> tried
> > Feed+ for generating feeds from public G+ posts -- it seems to work great
> > for individual profiles, but failed for the Community profile. I emailed
> > the author (a google employee and google apps script extraordinaire) to
> see
> > about getting support in there for G+ Communities.
> >
> > if that were to become possible, then there can be a feed of posts. Maybe
> > there's a way to rank by the accumulated +1's (in the feed, or
> > post-processing).
> >
> > The feed could be
> >
> > MAPPED
> >
> > to an aggregator (I do this a lot in Drupal with feeds to import content,
> > but it could just be dropped into a public couch instance); and then the
> > newsy mailing-list worthy stuff could be quickly
> >
> > REDUCED
> >
> > by a tagging mechanism. E.g. tag share-worthy things "mailing list" and a
> > weekly job sniffs those out and sends them to the mailing list. It's
> > automated, but it's curated first.
> >
> > I'm not sure if all that hypothetical hocus pocus technology would
> actually
> > make it easier than just scanning the community once a week sending out
> > some interesting links :P I'm just brainstorming.
> >
> >  :D
> >
> > --
> > *matt j. sorenson*
> >

> > On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I had a chat with Infra and they do not like automated posts to the
> > mailing
> > > list. I am going to set up some alarms for me to remind me to do weekly
> > > roundups. That also means I get to curate the stuff I think is
> [...]
CouchDB on
> > Twitter
> > the
> > > lists.