From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals for 2013
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:04:25 GMT
(warning, grumpy rant forthcoming...)

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Thoughts?

It seems to me that a lot of this hinges on releases. Releases
generate publicity and therefore developer interest, thus developer
engagement. Releases make sure that work developers do gets into
user's hands soon.

CouchDB, and I am sorry to have been banging this drum for a few years
now, is the worst open source project at doing releases I know.

Here's a quote from this list, from February 13:

> I plan to cut a release candidate from the 1.3.x branch this weekend.

And another, from Nov 13:

> when we set out to ship 1.3.0, we thought the cors and docs
> branches were just around the corner. That was a couple of
> weeks ago. We are just starting with this, but the whole
> idea of time-based releases is that we do not wait for
> feature branches to be ready.
>
> I’d like to propose that we ignore everything we’ve said
> before and do the following:
>
>  - ship 1.3.0 as reflected in the 1.3.x branch now.

Here's another, from October 23:

> It's been a while since we released and I want to change this now. I
> propose making a 1.3.x branch from today's master
> (66529378dd06342929e04772370f3509cbe786a5) and building 1.3.0 there.

Another, from June 16:

> 1. We'd like to proposed formal time-based releases

Et cetera. As an example, the EventSource bits, which are actually
something which would be very useful for us at work, were committed to
the tree on May 16. They are yet to be released.

I feel a bit hypocritical for saying all this, since I don't
contribute much to core CouchDB (although I did do a bunch of the doc
conversion, try to be helpful around the edges and maintain
couchdb-python). The reason for this is mostly that I thoroughly
dislike Erlang as a language, and have no intention of learning it
just to help out with CouchDB. I did some Futon work back in the day,
but had lots of trouble getting it committed since no one's really
owned Futon for a while (and right now, it looks like other people
have that bit covered, though they're using a modern but also quite
complex development stack that will make it unlikely for a lowly
back-end web developer dude like me to be able to contribute much).

So, IMNSH and annoyingly harsh O, stop talking so much about how to
energize the project, and Just. Ship. It. Every month, preferably. Fix
the test suite and whatever else makes it so damn hard to release.
Insert story here about that dude who realized people were trying to
fix the wrong problem [1].

End of rant, cheers,

Dirkjan

[1] http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/the-wrong-problem/