From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals for 2013
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:22:10 GMT
Thanks for calling this to action Noah!

My personal list for this year:

-1. Get people excited to contribute to CouchDB.

 0. Help remove roadblocks for any sort of contribution, docs, code, tests, bugs, whatever
it takes.

 1. A bunch of features that I’d like to rally some activity around, as I sure can’t write
them all on my own:

  - A plugin system as roughly outlined in that November/December thread, but with better
timing.

  - Full continuous integration suite, run tests suits on various systems automatically on
every commit in release and integration branches.

  - Help provide great system and binary packages for CouchDB in the various distributions
and standalone.
    (In my dream future, the continuous integration system spits out binaries for all supported
systems so people who report at bug can quickly test if it solves the issue without having
to build from source etc.)

  - Move the JS engine to Node.js. Allow for writing db-tools / plugins / utilities in Node.

 2. Get a Website/PR/Marketing team together. Refine the focus of the CouchDB mission statement.
I have some ideas that I share when the time is right.

 3. Support a JIRA/PR triage team in every which way I can.

 4. Get a developer’s handbook started to the CouchDB internals.

 5. Help build local real-world CouchDB community meetups like the ones we do in Berlin (http://berlin.couchdb.org),
supply folks with guides on how to run a meetup, resources to talk about, help out with organising
shwag etc.

 6. Get an evangelism team together: bundle and make available for anyone slides and teaching
materials that can be used to give talks at conferences, meetups and the like.

 5.+ 6. = 11. Connect this all online, so we can share experiences and improve each other’s
materials.

That’s just off the back of my head. I will personally focus a lot on -1. and 0. as well
as getting the rest started, but I will need all your help to move things to completion. I’m
not yet comfortable to commit to promising all of that done by the end of 2013, but if most
of it is on the way and going well, I think we are in good shape.

If you want to help out with any of these, please get in touch.

<3

Jan