From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: branching in couchdb
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2012 01:11:37 GMT
On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wickedgrey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Eli, Benoit linked to a variant of it in the beginning of this thread.  There's
a lot to like about it, and most of it is very similar to the workflow we're converging on
in this project.  The big difference is that in git-flow the HEAD of "master" is always the
latest tagged release, and that "develop" is where the day-to-day completed work lands.

> I didn't realize it was a direct variant; the lack of an explicit
> release branch seemed like a significant change in process (perhaps
> appropriate for the poster's use case, but doesn't seem to fit what
> I've seen of CouchDB).

Agreed, I think the original git-flow is a better match for packaged software development.

>  Note that at my work we easily changed the
> git-flow "branch 'master' is last stable release" and "branch
> 'development' is integration for next release" defaults to be 'stable'
> and 'master' respectively.

Good to know.

>> Personally I don't think I would coerce CouchDB into the nominal git-flow shape,
but I thought I'd note the similarities in case others find the tooling really appealing.
 Cheers,

> As an outsider, aside from naming convention, it's not clear what the
> mismatch is; care to expand?  Of course, if this is getting off-topic,
> feel free to let this part of the thread die.  :)

So, actually, I forgot one huge detail, which is that our git setup disallows merge commits
on master!  I was only reminded of it after the X-Couch-Id Pull Request was accepted earlier
today.  So I guess our conditions for branching and our naming of those branches are reasonably
similar to git-flow, but the fact that those branches are rebased/squashed/cherry-picked/deleted
instead of merged means we actually have a completely different workflow after all ;)  Cheers,

Adam