From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source code layout
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 08:20:36 GMT
About the layout:
-------------------------

So I did that work in rcouch:

https://github.com/refuge/couch_core/tree/master/apps

Each apps are self supervised. Then they are handled in the release:

https://github.com/refuge/rcouch

This is quite  convenient to have it like this and pretty similar to what
you describe. It's in production since 9 months. Though I would extract
couch_mrview & couch_index from the repo (and put pack all_doc in core)
since m/r is not really the core even if they must be shipped in the
couchdb release. Probably the same with the couch_replicator app.

It also  allows to build custom releases:

https://github.com/benoitc/rcouch_template

Anyway, last day I found another pattern used at least on 2 projects (i
can't find them right now) that could be quite interresting:

couch_core could be one app:

c_src/
   couchjs/
   couch_collate/
include/
src/
   couch.app.src
   httpd/*.erl
   core/*.erl
   {mem3/ , ... }

(not the second level can be skip if some are allergic to clean separations
using folders àla C)

Then we would have:

couch_index/
src/
   couch_index.app.src
   *.erl
include/

and so on

Doing this would allows anyone building its own release to remove some
parts of the system while keep the couchdb core but would also provides
reall standalone Erlang applications that could be embedded in others
projects.

@davisp about the use of rebar vs autotools, I discussed it on a previous
mail but we could probably have the following scenatio:

a bootstrap script building:
- a default rebar config for those of us who are only using rebar
- a configure script that will build a rebar.shared.config

which gives in term of layout:

/bootstrap
/configure.ac
/rebar.config.in

It could be interresting to have a look in
https://github.com/okeuday/CloudIfor that purpose.

- benoît