From Bob Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Plugins First Draft
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:01:36 GMT
Reminds me of my favorite book - "Sketches of an Elephant"

Jan, thanks for putting a stake in the ground, I've wanted to see this forever. The proposal
in my mind takes too much of a product management or marketing view (perhaps knowingly). Here's
how it will look the buttons one will push, etc..

I think the "what" and "how it works" are important to decide on first, .eg. @rnewson's suggestion
for something like RabbitMQ. Reading the docs for that, the "what" is much clearer.

Looking over the efforts to date, couchdb-lucene, and geocouch, these two are quite different
in terms of design, one is roughly loosely coupled, the other more native (in the same VM).
A plugin architecture, in my mind, should emerge from the code refactoring and layout we're
currently discussing. We should ask and answer questions such as:

1. the role of externals

2 access to the storage layer (API?)

3. separation from http layer

4. support for code upgrades

5. balancing of resources

I didn't mention Auth and Logging as I think these are separate in terms of concerns, more
system oriented. Whereas geocouch and couchdb-lucene are actually extending the functionality
in meaningful ways.