From "john.tiger" <john.tigernas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Futon.Next Proof of Concept
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 16:30:04 GMT
On 11/01/2012 03:28 AM, Simon Metson wrote:
>> Haven't run it yet, but the structure looks pretty good.
>>
>> The key decisions so far seem to be:
>> - build with grunt
>> - backbone
>> - require.js (yes?)
>> - LESS
>>
>> And I take no issue with any of those.
> Great! Garren has a change to the deployment script (to make it pushable as a couchapp
- he beat me to it!), and some modules that wouldn't be priority for us (since they're for
features Cloudant don't have).

> Russell and I have some developer documentation to write and an example module or two
by the end of next week. We'll keep pushing into this fork.

> Do people agree that this is a good foundation to build on? If so how do folk want to
proceed? Should we create a PR to couch or is it too early just now?

well, if futon is designed to just be a great front end - then use of
"outside" libs like grunt, less, are up to the contributors - though
even this makes building basic couch package (assuming it includes
futon) from source more complicated since it adds extra library dependencies

but, if futon is designed to be a model / example / template for
couchapp then it's not a good idea to deviate from standard css and
requiring stuff like nodejs, backbone, ...

I hear some say tools like less, sass, ..... are cleaner, more elegant,
more productive, but I have yet to see or even feel any real improvement
versus the cost of introducing another layer of syntax.  KISS is well
known for a reason.