From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:16:19 GMT
On 1 October 2012 14:57, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> VoilĂ , hopefully this thread can be a good start for merging rcouch,
>> bigcouch & apache couchdb and will ease merge of the other features imo.
>
> As a distributor, the most important deficiency in today's release
> tarballs is the fact that pretty much all the dependencies are
> bundled, with no convenient way to use system copies. IMO this should
> be done especially for C libraries like snappy and spidermonkey, but
> preferably also for the Erlang parts with an alive upstream. I haven't
> tracked it to closely, but I always get the impression that CouchDB
> just vendors upstream and isn't that good about making sure patches
> end up upstream as well (and tracking what versions correspond to the
> dependencies shipped with a given CouchDB tarball).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

Seems like the right thing for couchdb to do, but  I'm not sure I
understand this fully. Do you mean that you'd like to (say)
./configure --use-this-snappy-library --use-that-other-library
approach, and as a distributor you would be deciding at that point
which OTP release & other dependencies are required, to build into
your rpm or deb packaging tool?

A+
Dave