From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: OTP releases and autotools
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:38:22 GMT
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean. spidermonkey is choosed on the system while
> snappy is build statically if it's what you mean. My proposal for
> package maintainer is to use the autotools for that. Which would solve
> all of their needs. The autootols here would detect or use the path
> choosen by the package maintainer. While we keep the possibility to
> build static releases.

Sounds about right.

> About upstream version, I don't think it's really a problem. We
> shouldn't stop ourself to improve couchdb just because a distributions
> is slow to upgrade to latest stable release. Which doesn't mean we
> should always choose an upstream version. It should be choosed because
> it will improve the user experience.

I'm not saying you have to wait for distributions to upgrade stuff, I
*am* saying that it would be useful if you get upstream for CouchDB
dependencies to release the fixes you need before releasing the
version of CouchDB that relies on them. And that you then clearly
communicate what versions those are, so that distributors can pick up
the new versions and build everything together.

Cheers,

Dirkjan