From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: no communication ? signs of a dying project
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:27:43 GMT
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> Thanks for caring about CouchDB.
>
> On Sep 18, 2012, at 17:04 , john.tiger <john.tigernassau@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've tried to get things going on documentation (probably the biggest reason couchdb
is not more popular) - I put an initial outline forward - then nothing - no response.

> That’s because the team had been working on https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/docs
before your post. Noah had
> alluded to that in the thread that was brought over to dev@.

Also, the JIRA issue for the docs import is here:

>> this is not how to build a successful contributor community.
>> Certainly not like active great projects like nodejs, inkscape, ....
>
> I’m sorry nobody replied to your message yet. This is a group of
> volunteers and everybody contributes in their own time. Out of
> experience, I'd say most emails will get an answer.
>
> Also, from experience, the best chance to get things moving here
> is starting, and showing some work. This usually gets other people
> excited and contributing. Like everywhere else :)
>

>> I read somewhere that Apache Foundation is where projects go to die.
>
> You mean like Lucene, Hadoop, Cassandra, httpd(!), PhoneGap/Cordova etc? :)
>
> It's a funny enough quip, but don’t believe everything the press says,
> or what you read on Twitter.
>

>>  I hope this is not the case with couchdb but if there is no communication and no
community, the project will die.   Perhaps there is a small team that is being sponsored and
trying to do it themselves, but it will not progress fast enough (and disregards the whole
idea of why open source works).  Let's move this forward - let's have some communication!