From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Part2: What's up dev? About couchapps.
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:39:32 GMT
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Dale Harvey <dale@arandomurl.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to chime in on a few points
>
> I think Couch should definitely ship with a tool to upload a design doc, I
> think we pretty much all agreed on that in Boston, its not even particular
> to couchapps but a fairly basic requirement for anyone that has to manage
> their map reduce code.
>
> I do have (a lot) of hesitation about the python filesystem mapping, I have
> dozens of applications on my laptop currently with the following layout, I
> would suggest it is a canonical layout
>
> + myproject
>   + index.html
>   + style
>     + myproject.css
>   + img

That would imply that a couch app  is just a simple HTML5 apps. People
tend to not use sometimes shows and lists, but this just because we
are for now using an inefficient way to handle the javascript
evaluation. This is something from the past and I don't want that we
live in the past. At the boston summit it was the same reaction people
think couchapps as something frozen that can't be improved.

Imo the couchapp fs should represent the ddoc structure. So it will be
easy to extend the features later. And improve the one that are
inefficient right now. And I do think that couchapps should be more
than simple and limited html5 apps. It's important imo to improve
current features and add new one. For example having the possibility
to use the couchapps at the server level. Just like redis script for
example. etc.

- benoƮt