From Octavian Damiean <mainer...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB pre-built packages
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:37:33 GMT
Hello,

I've had a quick chat about pre-built packages on IRC a few days ago. wendal
and me agreed that it would be nice to have pre-build binaries for Linux
too.

The basic idea was to have something similar to the Nginx guys[1]. A
download/install page with direct links to Windows and OS X binaries and
instructions on how to add an official CouchDB repository to the respective
package manager.

This would require additional infrastructure I guess however it would lower
the
adaption bar quite a bit since not everyone is comfortable enough to build
from source.

Having such official repositories (for Debian and Red Hat) would also
increase
trust in the pre-build binaries.

If this requires someone to actively manage the packages/repositories then I
would volunteer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Octavian Damiean